Tuesday, January 4, 2011

We Need a Faster Shift to Plug-In Neighborhood Electric Vehicles (NEV)


To greatly accelerate the move to vehicle electrification—as required by the seriousness of the environmental and economic challenges of oil addiction, the public needs to be shaken into a new heightened level of awareness.


Even if electric vehicles achieve 10 times the penetration rate that hybrids have seen, it will take at least 15 years to make a dent in greenhouse emissions.


Katrina didn’t do it. The BP disaster didn’t do it. Tales of extreme climate and resulting environmental catastrophes from Russia to Pakistan haven’t done it. What will it take, and what can we do, individually and collectively, to help out? I don’t have an answer except to keep on telling my stories, focusing on possible solutions, and emphasizing facts over fiction.


""Experts are hoping to jolt people out of their complacent delusions that they can continue the status quo. Many people are reluctant to accept the idea that they need to make significant changes if they don’t want to send the entire ecosystem into collapse. But unless, many people agree to live closer together on less land and consume less stuff, particularly less stuff from far away, they are rushing off the cliff. When I go talk to municipalities about the electric car, I’m there to jolt reality. When I go before council, and talk about these issues, some have said I would attract more people if I used honey instead of vinegar. I’m not making a salad here. I’m trying to jolt people into action. " - Denis Lang


You can read more about the above quote at:

http://www.thevancouverobserver.com/show1004a/Denis_Lang_Wants_You_to_Drive_an_Electric_Car_Vancouver

No comments:

Post a Comment